Barhatch Farm is an impressive Grade II listed family house with an intriguing history. The earliest reference to ?Barhatch' is in a subsidy roll of 1332, now held in the public record office. After this date, it is not until manorial court records began in the early sixteenth century that there are references to the the property as Brehacche Lane, Berehaccheland and Berehaccewoode.
The original building was a medieval open hall house which is believed to have been built just before 1500. Soon after, the open hall house was part floored-over and a smoke bay hearth was added. The property remained a modest farmstead until it was extended and upgraded in the seventeenth century and again in the eighteenth century, with the addition of a wing on each end of the house. The impressive façade on the southwest side of the house was added in the Georgian era by a young British gentleman and today boasts a stunning Wisteria. Barhatch Farm has been in the same ownership for over 30 years now and has been consistently upgraded sympathetically over the years. This is the first time the house has come to the market during this time.
Internally, the ground floor accommodation is extremely flexible and works well for family living. There is an abundance of reception space combining the elegant proportions of the Georgian drawing room and study with the charm and character of the sitting room, dining room and family room. The kitchen and breakfast rooms form the heart of this house, overlooking the driveway to the west and leading conveniently out onto the paved terrace and lawned garden area to the east. The current owners
have further enhanced this living space creating a large utility and boot room off the kitchen.
First floor accommodation is similarly impressive providing a very comfortable master bedroom with far reaching southerly views, an en suite bathroom and dressing room which could be accessed by a separate second staircase. There are 5 further bedrooms (1 en suite) and 2 separate family bath/shower rooms on the first floor, all of which enjoy attractive garden or rural views.
The second floor has been recently converted and now offers 1bedroom with a WC (there is space for a bathroom) and a large playroom or studio space. This floor would be an ideal area for a separate internal apartment if required.
The current owners have recently renovated one of the buildings in what used to be the historic farm yard, creating a luxurious cottage comprising a vaulted sitting room fitted with a log burning stove, creating that much sought after ambience; a kitchen, bedroom, shower room and sitting room. A mezzanine level lies above, the perfect area for a home office or another bedroom.
Adjacent to the cottage is a substantial 2 bay car port and store room. The historic barn was built in the late seventeenth century; it is thought that the barn was originally set on saddles, which were later removed from the body of the barn when it was used for wintering cattle. This beautiful barn is currently used as a large storage area but has immense potential for conversion subject to gaining necessary planning consent. Also within the barn are 2 stables, tack room, workshop and stores. There is a first floor room above the stables too. The driveway branches away from the house arriving at an outside period 3 bay insulated garage, which was built c.1700 as a cart shed. There is an idyllic pong next to this buildings which was originally used to wash down the cattle wagons and carts.
Gardens and grounds
The gardens are particularly noteworthy and have been opened for the National Garden Scheme for many years. The formal gardens amount to around 2 acres and although feel open and spacious, are separated into distinct areas including the paved terrace, a fantastic space for outdoor dining, the paddock to the south of the house, the ponds, historic cockerel fighting pit and the beautifully presented garden area surrounding the drive.
The original property had 134 acres, however a substantial proportion of the land was used by the previous owner of Barhatch Farm to develop the golf course seen adjacent to the remaining property today named the Cranleigh Gold and Country Club.View payable Stamp Duty for this property...Read full description